Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Carjacking



This evening we were at the video store, picking out a new movie for a family night. The kids and I got bored as Dad and Demar continued to look through all the movies, so I grabbed the keys and headed out the door to our van. The kids and I hopped in and I quickly asked each of them to lock the doors. I double checked and asked them again and tucked the keys under my thigh so that no one would know I had them.

It’s crazy, but I play the carjacking scenario in my mind every time we are stopped in the car and George is not with us. My thought is that if the doors are locked and I don’t have the keys (I usually ask George to take them with him) then the carjacker has few options. Without keys the poor carjacker has picked the wrong car. The truth is, I could care less about the car, it’s my precious cargo. My kids. Whatever it takes, no one will easily take my kids.

So as we wait, I play the scenario again in my head. The kids know why we lock the doors, but they do not know how often I plan the escape or how my mind wonders. I was regretting having the keys with me as I looked at the strange men visiting the tiendas next to the movie store.

Then I smiled and remembered a blog I never posted. The blog was about how a friend made the comment that our lives here in Guatemala seem so American. As I’m remembering her statement, my mind flutters to the thought “I think this is the same place the music teacher was driving as gunfire surrounded her car.”

My mind quickly goes back to the strange men… perhaps they are Christians; maybe they would be the good Samaritans who would run to our rescue if someone threatened us. Or is one of them drunk and desperate. Desperate enough to harm us.

My mind snaps back to the truth…I could plan scenarios, I could continue profiling the strange men or I could do as I always end up doing…I could trust God.

You know, it’s interesting. I never hid the keys or sent them in with George in Colorado. But here or there, we are called to trust. Trust the one God who saves!



If you would like to support what God is doing through us in Guatemala, click here. Follow our journey at www.GodCalledUs.com.

If you have questions or just want to catch up, do not hesitate to contact me directly. You can email me at vondasisneros@gmail.com or call our Magic Jack number in Guatemala, 970-449-9449 (local call for you). I would love to hear from you!



1 comment:

  1. Taking our thoughts captive.... Harder than it sounds, but so worth the effort! Love you and yours Vonda!!

    ReplyDelete