Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  Yes today we put up our Christmas tree... finally! We have been waiting.  First waiting for George to come home from Guatemala... and then waiting to decide what to do.  We could go in so many directions with this choice. But as with all things now at the Sisneros house we function one day at a time.

(I just busted into that song in my head... sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from you... help me today, show me the way, one day at a time)


It was mid August this year that we decided to stop purchasing "things"... anything, and to purge for one year.  It was a challenge we gave ourselves.... why? Well George would have to tell you exactly why he felt we should do this, but as I spent two days purging our master closet, bath and bed.  Willingly I  went through the motions because I knew getting rid of stuff was a good thing and I knew in my heart that God was moving in my husbands life, but really what was in it for me? I prayed both days that God would show me my lesson in this season of purging.  Twice I felt I should re-read the manna story. I thought about the manna story a lot. Then I read it. God clearly provided enough, enough for the day... the Israelites were told to gather only enough for each day.  Those who didn't gather much had enough and those who gathered too much, well it rotted. The over gathering was fruitless... it had no value to them.  So as we continued to move from room to room and continue to de-clutter and purge I started to understand what I was learning.  All the excess in our life can so easily rot... really it is worthless when we look to Christ to provide there is just no use in gathering excess.  When you get rid of all the excess the stuff that so easily rots, you find the stuff that nourishes, the stuff you love... the manna.

Why do I tell you this story?  Because today we took out the Christmas decorations... our last Christmas in this Colorado home.  The process of purging has made it somewhat easier to see through all the Christmas stuff. I had planned to purge the Christmas decorations this year... I had not planned to get rid of most of it for our move.  So today was the day... there were tough choices to be made, and more lessons to be learned.  I let each child pick out their favorite ornaments.  And then I saved a few. I have less than one box to send to my moms with all things sentimental.... and then about 5 to give or sell.  I threw one box of stuff away.  Anyone need a beautiful 9ft Christmas tree. We agreed as a family that we would sell it now before Christmas if someone wants it! Really it needs to go...   


All this brings me to my next point....
As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew.  They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.  "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. -Matthew 4:18-20

I have always thought there was more to this story.  Didn't they have a bit more of a conversation?  Really "fishers of men" and "at once" really whats the rush?  I don't know about you, but I have never quite understood how two men in their right minds would have left all they know... their homes their jobs, their family... to follow another man not really knowing what was in store. "fishers of men" did they even know what that meant? It just doesn't seem like it.

Several people have asked... what exactly are you going to do in Guatemala? and well its a bit of a hard question to answer. Because really God has walked into our hearts and said follow me... I now know why Peter and Andrew left "at once". They were called. So we will go find out what it means to be a "fisher of men" and  we will live one day at a time...  I just wish we only had nets to drop instead of a whole American home full of lovely stuff!

Blessings to each of you!

2 comments:

  1. Once you hear the voice of God speak so clearly... there simply is no other answer. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Chad, I can not wait to meet you and your family!

    ReplyDelete