Monday, December 26, 2011

Spies! Who do you believe?

I mentioned to my mom as George was flying home from Guatemala."Mom, I think we are moving to Guatemala." She was quiet, the last time I remember her being that quiet was when I told her I was going to marry George. It's the kind of quiet that takes place when what has been said is true, and nothing you can say will change the truth. Its not that my my mom was disagreeable in either of these situations. It was a state of ponder, because the truth was BIG, important and impactful.

It was several days later I spoke with mom again. She just wanted to know if we would be safe... what is it like there. She had just watched a commercial with starving children, in harsh conditions. I already knew that Guatemala City is the 8th most dangerous city in the world, and George had seen starving children. So I told my mom... "yes the city is dangerous, and kids are starving..."

It was in that moment that I felt God quicken my heart with this choice and I shared it with mom. What spy are you going to be? One of the 11 who gave a bad report or the one like Caleb with a good report? Caleb silenced the 11 spy's with a bad report and said "...we can certainly do it." Numbers 13:30

People want to hear the bad report. How dangerous and hopeless this is. They think that we are going to get there and want to come back. When the people of Israel heard the bad report they to wanted to return to their slavery, the comfort of Egypt, the place they had called home for 400 years.

But this is what God said to them, "...because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him in to the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it." Numbers 14:24

My husband came home from Guatemala with a "different spirit" like Caleb (I am not saying we will inherit Guatemala... but perhaps the undeniable presence of God that George experienced)

So as I put my sweet daughter to sleep tonight and as we talked over the anxiety of our decision to move I was reminded of the only scripture my mom made me memorize so many years ago. Psalms 91. I personalized the end of it for Cecilia. It goes like this:

"Because Cecilia loves me" says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call on me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. With long life I will satisfy Cecilia and show her my salvation." (v 14-15)

So what did my spy see?
Matthew 13:44 "the kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

May God draw each of you ever so close to Him. As we continue our journey to draw close to Him on our way to and in Guatemala! Be a spy of a "different spirit" and believe the spy of a "different spirit." The spirit of our living God, Jesus Christ!

Blessings, Vonda


No comments:

Post a Comment